I Am Waiting on Benefits

I Am Waiting on Benefits

There could be a few reasons why you are still waiting on your benefits.

Below are some reasons why your benefits may be held up. 

You should continue to file your biweekly claims while you try to figure out what is happening with your application.

The government may be processing your payments.

This can take a long time.​

You have an overpayment on your account.

The government might be taking your benefits to pay off that overpayment.

The government is looking at your reason for losing work.

This is called your “separation from employment.” The government looks over your reason if you voluntarily quit your job or were discharged by your employer.

You did not make enough money to get benefits.

If you do not make enough money, you may not be financially eligible for benefits. The government will send you a notice in your portal or a letter in the mail to tell you if you made enough money to get benefits. If there are wages missing from the letter the government send you, you can appeal.

How to figure out what is going on with your application:

Call the UC Service Center help line.

You can speak directly to unemployment representatives about your claim on this hotline.

UC Service Center help line:
Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm (EST)

Videophone Service ONLY for ASL Users
Wednesdays 8:00 am – 12:00 pm (EST) and Fridays 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm (EST)

We recommend calling between Wednesday and Friday when the phone line is not as busy.

Email [email protected] with questions or information about your claim and eligibility. You can also attach documents to your email (for example, a doctor’s note showing you have been released to perform light duty work). The Department can be slow to respond to emails but will get back to you.

Contact your state elected official.

Your state representative or senator’s office can help answer unemployment questions. They can contact the Department of Labor and Industry about your claim.

Check your online portal and mail regularly.

After you receive your claim confirmation letter and your Notice of Financial Determination, you should file an initial claim.

You may also receive follow up notices from the government that say you eligible or ineligible for benefits. This letter is called a Notice of Determination.

If you get a Notice of Determination, appeal immediately and contact a free legal provider in your area.