Immigration and Unemployment Compensation: Frequently Asked Questions

Immigration and Unemployment Compensation: Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions about how your immigration status may affect your unemployment benefits?

We hope this list of frequently asked questions answers some of your questions about unemployment compensation and immigration status.

Workers who are legally authorized to work in the United States can qualify for Pennsylvania unemployment compensation.

No. Unemployment benefits are not included in the public charge analysis. They are not considered a form of cash assistance.

Yes, the application will ask you for your A-number.

Later, you may get a letter in the mail or a notice in your portal asking for copies or scans of your work authorization documentation. Lawful permanent residents can provide copies of a permanent resident card (front and back) and a social security card (front and back). Send a copy of any work authorization document(s) you have.

This means your employer did not report them.

  1. File an appeal and ask unemployment to investigate.
  2. Send any proof of wages received to unemployment.

Call the state-wide unemployment telephone number, 1-888-313-7284, to ask for an interpreter.

The initial application, weekly claims system, and online portal are available in Spanish. 

This website will make materials available in additional languages.